Align Left is the design and development output of Nathan Walker (that’s me). For the past eight years, I’ve worked as a freelance designer and, more recently, front-end developer. I’m currently at Cactuslab, where I’ve worked on projects for clients such as Honda, Semi Permanent and Geneva Healthcare. I occasionally take on compelling freelance projects.
I graduated from Auckland University of Technology in 2018 with a Bachelor of Design, majoring in Communication Design (UX/UI specialisation), and minoring in Design Thinking. In 2017 I spent a semester studying Graphic Design at Champlain College in Vermont, USA. My work is primarily focused on UX/UI, web and graphic design, also encompassing illustration, branding, packaging and editorial design.
I’m interested in design as a way of thinking, a driver of meaningful change and a method of creating visual systems. I work strategically, but I’m also not afraid to sweat the details. Among other things, I’m especially into typography (just ask anyone who’s ever met me). For a more in-depth look at how I approach my practice, check out this interview.
Me by Stirling Adams
- Best Awards Gold Pin, Shift (Student Interactive)
- Best Awards Silver, Shift (Student Graphics)
- Best Awards Finalist, Shift (Graphic Colour)
- Design Assembly Hot New Things interview
- Best Awards Gold Pin, Variable Futures (Student Interactive)
- Best Awards Gold Pin, Variable Futures (Student Graphics)
- Diosphere on Klim Type Foundry’s Fonts in Use
- Designers Institute of New Zealand, Student Council Chair
- Shift SOTD on Typewolf
- Shift on Minimal Gallery
- Shift on klikkenthéke
- Shift on CSSDSGN
- Shift on The Gallery
- Variable Futures on UI Jar
- Variable Futures on The Gallery
- Variable Futures on klikkenthéke
- Align Left on The Gallery
- Align Left on klikkenthéke
- Align Left on Bestfolios
- Speaker at Helix Symposium, 2015
- Pat Hanly Student Art Award, 2015
Work + play
Additional work, offcuts and straight-up rejects from the studio floor.